Suicide Prevention Efforts in Indian Country
Join us for a presentation on suicide among American Indian/Alaska Native youth with respect to current data, programs, prevention models, and strategies that are being used to address this issue in Indian Country.
Shannon Crossbear, National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health; Mark LoMurray, Sources of Strength; and Gayle Jaffe, Suicide Prevention Resource Center, will present on national and local initiatives in the areas of prevention, intervention and healing. They will share examples of effective and promising suicide prevention practices in American Indian communities. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions of the presenters as well as hear from other grantees during this online learning event.
About the Presenters:
Mark LoMurrayis the founder and director of Sources of Strength, a national Best Practices Registry Project, and is presently partnering with the University of Rochester, NY in the National Peer Leadership Study on suicide prevention – one of the nation’s largest randomized trials evaluating peer leader impact on student behaviors and social norms in underserved communities.
Shannon CrossBear, Ojibwe/Irish, is an Training and Technical Assistance Specialist for the National Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health. She has consulted with the National Indian Child Welfare Association, Georgetown University, The Garret Lee Smith Suicide Prevention Programs, The National Child Traumatic Stress Networks and the Aboriginal Healing Strategy. As a survivor of a child who completed a suicide, her sensitivities to the needs of families are paramount in her work.
Gayle Jaffeis a Senior Prevention Specialist with the Suicide Prevention Resource Center (SPRC), which provides support, training, and resources to organizations and individuals at the national, tribal, state, territorial, and community levels.
- Recording of the presentation: http://edc.acrobat.com/p91338700/
- The American Indian / Alaska Native Suicide Prevention section of the SPRC Website: http://www2.sprc.org/aian/index
- Shannon Crossbear's Presentation (pdf)
- Gale Jaffe's Presentation (pdf)
- Mark LoMurray's Presentation (pdf)
- IHS Suicide Prevention Initiative - note, this presentation did NOT appear during the webinar. However, this presentation provides information on suicide statistics and AI/AN populations as well as links to resources.
- Indian Health Service’s (IHS) Community Suicide Prevention Website: http://www.ihs.gov/NonMedicalPrograms/nspn/